The Christmas Tree
Once upon a time there was a little fir tree in a forest in Norway.
It was a very small tree and it did not grow. The other trees near it
were so high and had such big branches that the poor little fir tree
could not grow into a big high tree.
There were oak trees, pine trees, and birches around the little fir tree.
They were all very useful to people. But the little tree was not
useful to anybody and it became very sad.
One day the fir tree asked the other trees, “Do you know how a
small fir tree could be useful?” Some of the trees were too proud to
answer such a little tree.
But the birch tree was a kind tree and it said, “You could be a
Christmas tree, but that is all.” “What is a Christmas tree?” asked
the little tree.
“I don’t know,” replied the birch tree, “but once a year, in winter,
men come and look at all the little fir trees and choose the prettiest
for a Christmas tree. They chop it down but I don’t know what they
do with it.”
“I could be useful to some people”, thought the little fir tree. It was
happy now and waited for Christmas Day.
At last that frosty winter day came. A boy with an axe walked
through the forest. He stopped in front of the little fir tree, then he
chopped it down and took it home.
“This will be the Christmas tree,” he told his brothers.
The next day the boys put it in a big room and decorated it with
balloons, paper bells and golden balls. Their mother put some candles
on the branches of the tree and lit them.
“It’s the most beautiful Christmas tree!” cried one of the boys. All
the family gathered around the tree. They joined hands and began to
sing songs and dance. They all were happy. But the little Christmas
tree was the happiest.
“I hope I shall not drop any of these beautiful things which the
children put on me. I shall give joy and happiness to them. I am happy
because I am useful now,” thought the little Christmas tree.
Ex. 3, 4, 5, 6
3. Write sentences using the words below. Don’t forget to begin
your sentences with capital letters.
1. was, forest, once, a, in Norway, fir tree, there, in little, a.
In Norway was a forest once in little a fir tree.
2. people, useful, I, be, to, some, could.
I could be some to people usefull.
3. was, the, little, very, Christmas tree, happy.
The little Christmas tree was very happy.
4. beautiful, shall, any, drop, I, not, of, things, these.
I shall not drop these beautiful any things
4. Choose the correct word.
1. The fir tree was the smallest tree in the forest. (biggest, smallest)
2. The fir tree was very sad because it could not grow. (sad, happy)
3. Mother put some candles on the branches of the fir tree. (paper bells, candles)
4. The family danced round the Christmas tree. (ate, danced)
5. Complete the sentences.
1. There were oak trees, trees and gathered around the little fir tree.
2. All the trees had very big branches.
3. The boy chopped down the little fir tree and took it home.
4. At last the frosty winter day came.
6. Write the missing letters.
drop, branch, frosty, candle